- About Me
- Croydon Consulting
- FAQ on Risk
Posts Tagged social-media
I began calling for the proper management of social media risks in 2009. Back then we were still trying to convince people they should use the various social media tools to advance their associations and nonprofits. The big fear was (and still is) “what if someone says something bad about us?” There are numerous examples of social media horror stories such as the Domino’s Pizza video, United Breaks Guitars, Greenpeace’s attack on Nestlé’s Facebook page, Susan G. Komen versus Planned Parenthood, and Progressive Insurance. Bad public relations incidents are still the most significant risk with social media but is also very manageable.
As I wrote in my first post on social media risks for SocialFish in May 2009, The Hidden Risks of Social Media: It’s Not What You Think,
Lack of active participation in social media may be your greatest risk. Your association may not have a formal social media strategy but many of your employees and members (especially chapters) are already participating through LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, FriendFeed or Ning, just to name a few. People are conversing about your association – if they aren’t talking about the association, then you have a larger problem.
Social media has changed how we live and work. It is a fact of life and you better be prepared to deal with bad or negative publicity whether it starts on social media or is played out on the various outposts.
Altimer Group, a consultancy founded by Charlene Li, “provides research and advisory for companies challenged by business disruptions, enabling them to pursue new opportunities and business models.” As a research organization Altimeter focuses on how disruptive trends can be used by organizations. Social media is definitely a disruptive trend. The firm’s most recent research was on social media risks addressed in its report Guarding the Social Gates: The Imperative for Social Media Risk Management. They also hosted a webinar on the topic. As a risk management consultant I’m always pleased and excited when other people and organizations talk about the importance of risk management. I strongly encourage you to read the report and listen to the webinar. Share the information with the key people within your association or nonprofit.
Social media is unusual because it is a source of risk but also a valuable resource for mitigating risks especially negative publicity. Not all PR crises start on social media (nasty tweet or video) but they are all “played out” on social media. For example the Susan G. Komen incident started with a corporate decision reported in the press but quickly moved onto the social media stage. The Penn State scandal started with a newspaper report that promptly moved to the online world. The teachable moment is that if your association is not ready to respond quickly via social media you are at a distinct disadvantage. You will get criticized not only for the original incident but how you handled it.
There is nothing new in the report, just reinforces what I and other risk management types have been saying. Every organization regardless of its size should identify and analyze its risks arising from social media and develop its techniques to manage these risks. If your organization already has a risk management program adding social media to the mix is easy but few associations have such a plan. Croydon Consulting (me) has experience with managing these risks. I’m a member of the SocialFish team so often partner with Maddie Grant and Lindy Dreyer to address these risk management issues. We are also working with Epic PR Group to further enhance our capabilities.
Social media is too important to your association’s success to leave managing the risks to chance or fate. Follow the steps provided in Guarding the Social Gates or seek help from the many resources available (like me). Sorry for the blatant sales pitch but this is one issue that can’t wait. Good luck.
About this blogLeslie White consults to associations and nonprofits about risk management and risk and social media.
- RT @BarackObama: A voice everybody should hear. twitter.com/ncaawbb/status… 1 month ago
- RT @ASlavitt: This is the most important news of the week. And the Trump presidency. And likely the 2020 election. usatoday.com/story/opinion/…… 1 month ago
- RT @fayfeeney: 👍 twitter.com/Lady_Star_Gem/… 1 month ago
- RT @EJDionne: #Trump’s opponents can't let the spin cycle wash away everything we have learned about all the contacts between Trump’s campa… 1 month ago
- RT @ron_miller: This…is…remarkable. Passed the Senate 98-2: washingtonpost.com/climate-enviro… 3 months ago
- Burn your social media strategyI recently came across an amazing post that I urge everyone to read about the current state of social media. Burn It Down, Start From Scratch And Build a Social Media Strategy That Works Here is just an excerpt – this is towards the end of the long post. Please, please do yourself a favor […] The post Burn your social media strategy appeared first on Social […]
- Realignment #6: Relationship-Driven LeadershipExcerpt from the new book: The Demand Perspective: Leading From the Outside In ————- Associations, like bureaucratic organizations in other sectors, are at a critical juncture. The market around them has changed much faster and far more drastically than they have. The fundamental challenge facing association leaders is the same facing the leaders of all type […]
- Marketing: Don’t Put All Your Eggs in One BasketThe proliferation of electronics and personal devices has opened up a whole new world for marketing. No longer are you limited to costly television commercials or billboards. Now you can advertise your product on websites, in email, in text messaging, on social media, through in-phone apps, and much, much more. The possibilities for getting your […] The post […]
- AWESOME WEBINAR ALERT: How to Make Money from Social MediaFrustrated with trying to figure out how to make money from all that time and effort you spend on social media? What if you knew 10 influencers to multiply your conversions to one million? If you’re trying to accelerate your business growth or make a viral impact, check out this FREE webinar from my good friend and […] The post AWESOME WEBINAR ALERT: How to […]
- 5 Attention Grabbing Twitter Marketing Tactics for Non-profitsTwitter is perhaps one of the fastest-moving social platforms. With hundreds of thousands of tweets being shared every day, maintaining visibility and driving engagement become key challenges for most Twitter marketers. Here are a few tips for your non-profit to make sure that its tweets don’t go unnoticed. Share fresh, trending content consistently The qual […]
- The Impact of Millennials on Software AdoptionMaddie Grant, co-founder of Culture That Works, was a recent guest on the TechnologyAdvice Expert Interview Series to share her insight on the intersection of sales, marketing, and technology. The series, which is hosted by TechnologyAdvice’s Josh Bland, explores a variety of business and technology landscapes through conversations with industry leaders. In […]
- [ALMOST SOLD OUT] Don’t Miss AMS Fest! Sept 17 in DC**** ONLY A FEW SEATS REMAINING! **** (Association exec in need of financial assistance? SocialFish will sponsor two free seats!! Just contact Teri Carden (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a short comment about your needs if you would like to be considered for one!) Don’t Miss AMS Fest! Register Here! AMS Fest is a one-day event where you’ll be elbow-to-elbow with […]
- Come celebrate Jamie’s recovery and the book launch with us!You’re invited to a very unusual event! It’s a strategic workshop! We got our heads together with our friends at Epic PR to put together a strategic workshop, a book launch party, and a cancer fundraiser all rolled into one! Sponsored by Higher Logic at their brand new HQ in Virginia, the theme of the […] The post Come celebrate Jamie’s recovery and the book […]
- Breaking: Demographic Analysis of Your Instagram Audiences Is Now PossibleDemographics Pro has just launched their new Instagram analytics tool. Unlike other analytics tools, this one provides deep demographics (see my bold below) – not just number of followers and basic engagement metrics. Demographics Pro is pleased to announce the addition of Instagram audience analytics to its leading social profiling platform. Available from […]
- How to Motivate Young Employees to VolunteerFrom elementary through high school, many students participate in community volunteer projects through their school or extracurricular activities. Generally someone coordinates these activities and students simply show up, are told what to do, and have fun while serving their community. One of the main incentives for participation is having a volunteer recor […]
- Burn your social media strategy