Examples of Workshops
Training programs and workshops can be designed to meet your organization’s needs. Contact me to discuss.
- Risk Management for Nonprofit Organizations — This is an introductory course for managers new to risk management that explores the scope of risks in nonprofit organizations and how to manage these exposures.
- Introduction to Enterprise Risk Management — Learn how enterprise risk management expands the practice of risk management beyond insurable risks to evaluate the numerous business risks facing organizations.
- How to Conduct a Risk Assessment — The most important step in the risk management process is to identify and analyze an organization’s risks whether insurable or not.
- Policy Writing – A Hands-On Workshop – Explore the why and how of writing policies and the differences between policy and procedure statement. Review the language, format, development, peer-review process and when to update your policies.
- The Basics of Insurance: A Nonprofit Primer — Every nonprofit organization needs to understand insurance. Insurance is a significant part of a nonprofit’s risk management program as a means to finance its losses.
- Managing Social Media Risks – Regardless of your thoughts on social media, there are both risks and opportunities but the conversation about risk shouldn’t be a scary one.
- Managing the Risks of Mentoring — Risk management is just good management and employing the best practices for your mentoring program. Mentoring programs present many unique challenges and opportunities for its organizers and participants and requires an effective risk management program.
- Sports Risk Management: Is it All Fun and Games? — Explore the special risk management considerations for sports and recreation programs.
- Volunteer Management: A Risk Management Approach — Learn how to apply risk management techniques to your volunteer program for a safer and more effective program. Explore ways to minimize your risks using tools such as screening and selection, training, and supervision.
- Board Governance — Board members struggle with the roles and responsibilities often leading to discontent or lack of accountability. Explore techniques for managing governance risks while enhancing your board’s capabilities.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning — After the events of September 11 and the recent hurricane seasons, nonprofits recognize the importance of planning for a disaster to continue their operations and secure their survival.
Other Topics Available
- Corporate volunteer programs
- Specials events
- Negotiating insurance policies
- Insurance broker selection and evaluation
- Managing the risks of collaborations
- Alternative risk financing techniques
- Pandemic influenza planning
- Youth protection programs
- AH&T Nonprofits Insurance — Annual Nonprofit Risk Management Seminar
- American Society of Association Executives
- ANCOR Foundation CEO Roundtable
- Association of Community Services of Howard County (MD)
- Association for High Technology Distribution
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City
- California Society of Association Executives
- Congregations of Religious Treasurers, Region I (CT)
- Coordinators of Volunteers of Anne Arundel County (MD)
- Higher Logic
- Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
- Maryland Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Maryland Council of Directors of Volunteer Services
- National Association of College Stores
- National Association of Truck Stop Operators
- National Senior Service Corps — Corporation for National Service
- Nonprofit Risk Management Center — Nonprofit Risk Management Institutes and Nonprofit Risk Management & Finance Seminar Pennsylvania Association for Volunteerism
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Points of Light Foundation
- Special Olympics Inc.
- Special Olympics Maryland
- The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Fellows Program (MD & HI)
- The National Mentoring Partnership, National Mentoring Center
- The Support Center of Washington, DC
- United Way of Allegheny County (PA)
- Virginia State Conference on Community Service and Civic Engagement
- Volunteer Maryland!
Examples of Speaking EngagementsMaryland Governor’s Office on Service and Volunteerism Power Up! Conference for Volunteer Managers Power Up! Your Risk Management Timonium, MD May 9, 2010 American Society of Association Executives Finance, Human Resources & Business Operations Conference What Snow White Can Teach Us About Risk Washington, DC June 7, 2012 California Society of Association Executives (CalSAE) ELEVATE 2012 Policy Writing – A Hands-On Workshop Newport Beach, CA March 29, 2012 InsideNGO Annual Meeting The Social Media Explosion & Its Impact on the Workplace Washington, DC June 8, 2011